I’ve always had a soft spot for IBM i (or AS/400 as we knew it back in the 1980s).
I’ve spent 30 years in the IT industry, in roles ranging from entry-level specialist to my current position as CIO here at Rocket Software. In that time, I’ve supported and administered a lot of different platforms—some of which are long gone. As you well know, the IBM i/Power Systems platform is one of the most robust, reliable mid-range systems available today.
But all too often, I hear other CIOs talk about how they want to move to newer, more “modern” platforms. Most of the time it’s not because they dislike IBM i, but because they simply aren’t aware that the platform can (and does) operate seamlessly with a mix of newer and older technologies. Sound familiar?
We’re committed to the IBM i platform, with more than 2,000 companies using Rocket solutions for IBM i. There are more than 50 Rocketeers dedicated to building new solutions for IBM i, and we’re hiring more every month. In fact, Dan Magid, VP of Application Development and DevOps, is also our Chief Technologist in charge of IBM i solutions. Dan is in constant communication with the IBM team, making regular trips to their R&D labs to ensure that Rocket and IBM strategies are aligned.
We’re helping companies find new ways to turn decades of business logic and data into new applications and experiences with fresh, modern user interfaces. But new GUIs are just a small piece of what we do. With the solutions Rocket offers, there’s no need to go through the expense (and risk) involved with a rip-and-replace strategy. For example:
- Safety Insurance uses Rocket IBM i solutions to convert more than 800 green screens to a modern GUI, helping them record a 75% decrease in the time required to complete policy renewals—as well as automate a number of time-consuming manual processes via API that save them time and money. (Read the full story)
- Fidelity Investments uses Rocket IBM i solutions to automate workflows with point-and-click distribution, accelerating project delivery and reducing errors. (Read the full story)
- Big 5 Sporting Goods uses Rocket IBM i solutions to simplify regulatory compliance, increase productivity, streamline development processes, and deliver a better customer experience. (Read the full story)
If you’re looking for new ways to get more out of your IBM i technology investment, or just need help explaining the value to your CIO, we’d love to talk to you. In fact, I believe in the power of IBM i so much that I’d be willing to talk to your CIO personally to help him or her understand why it’s an ideal platform to build on for the future.
Let us know how we can help. I look forward to talking to you.
Latest posts by Jay Leader (see all)
- Get more out of your IBM i technology investment - November 15, 2016
- Live from IBM World of Watson: a CIO’s perspective of cognitive computing - October 26, 2016
- Pick up the phone! - December 2, 2015