Db2 Cloning Tool: Enhanced App Cloning Index Processing (PI99726)
If you perform Application (Tablespace) Cloning with the Cloning Tool, chances are that you will experience a free performance boost after applying APAR PI99726 (PTF UI57180).
It is likely that indexes are included in your cloning LISTDEF definition or via the COPY parameter, ALWAYS-COPY-INDEXSPACES. With this enhancement, the Cloning Tool Source job will be able to detect several conditions which would require the index to be rebuilt by (or after) the Target job. In these cases, the index will not be copied, thereby saving page processing time in the Target job.
The conditions that the Source job can detect are:
- IX_PGSIZE or IX_PADDED differences between the source and target indexes.
- Version mismatches between source and target indexes.
- Extension mismatches between the source and target index spaces.
- The source index is in PSRBD status.
- The index contains a column for which DATA-MASKING has been defined.
- The clone is defined with USE-LAST-CONSISTENT-FLASHCOPY(Y), and the index is not included in the Flashcopy image copy, or the index and it’s table space are in different Flashcopy image copies.
If RTS-COPY-ENABLED is set to Y, the index statistics are still copied even if the index is not copied.
In the Source job, CKZ55505I will be followed by a report of indexes excluded from copy, with the exclude reason.
- REBUILD-INDEXES-EXECUTE be set to Y so that the Target job can manage these REBUILD processes for you.
- Indexes and the associated Table Spaces be cloned in the same Source Job so that INTELLIGENT-REBUILD can generate the appropriate REBUILD statements and optimize this process.
Of course, the Target Job may determine that additional indexes need to be rebuilt. Log Apply processing that changes a table space will cause the REBUILD of the associated indexes.
Additional information can be found in the APAR text and latest version of the Cloning Tool Users Guide.
If you found this helpful, please share it or comment below.