People are asking “What is Db2 DevOps Experience for z/OS?”
This article was originally published on the IBM community blog and was written in collaboration with Patrick Bossman, an STSM for Db2 for z/OS at IBM, Paul McWilliams, an Information Developer for Db2 for z/OS at IBM, and Paul Bartak, Principle Solutions Advisor for Db2 Tools for z/OS at Rocket Software.
IBM Db2 DevOps Experience for z/OS is where Db2 for z/OS meets DevOps. It is the IBM strategic product for bringing database as a service (DBaaS) to Db2 for z/OS. It makes Db2 for z/OS a first class citizen in fast delivery cycles by reducing data-friction, reducing wait time, and bolstering innovation.
Db2 DevOps Experience for z/OS introduces full user interface and REST API support for the following administration and operations capabilities:
- Db2 Schema Database-as-a-Service
- Database-as-code, with versioned source code management of DDL
- Directives for participation, placement, naming, configuration, and limits
- Integration into your DevOps pipelines via REST APIs
- Administration & operations
- Upstream and downstream DevOps processes
- Monitoring of directives to control fast paced development activities on z/OS
Empower your application developers for on-demand self-service for the full Db2 database portion of the application environment
- Creating, modifying, approving, and merging database objects and routines including: Db2 database objects such as databases, table spaces, tables, indexes, columns, and more; plus stored procedures, user-defined functions, and triggers.
- The option to destroy all such objects created for development and test environments after these activities are complete.
Liberate your database administrators for higher value activities
- Bring Db2 for z/OS objects into source control, for state-based database change management, with a Db2 for z/OS-optimized compare engine
- Define Db2 database objects into a single DB2 DevOps Experience application, which is a defined group of Db2 objects that you can provision together as a group. The team members that own the application can change the application.
- Define and enforce a variety of business rules, including limits on number of instances a user and team can create, space usage, naming conventions for objects, and database object properties.
- Review and approve of database object changes submitted by team members.
- Automate deployment of approved changes to other environments.
Equip your DevOps Engineers to automate deployments
- Over 90 REST APIs that enable integrations with:
- CI/CD tools to perform automated deployments
- Generation of the deployment process
- Enable efficient review and approval of database changes and deployment processes.
- The IBM Urban Code Deploy plugin, which exploits the REST APIs for performing automated deployments.
- An add-on service for IBM Cloud Pak for Data is also available to extend “create schema like” self-services of Db2 application environments into IBM Cloud Pak for Data.
For more information, see the IBM Db2 DevOps Experience for z/OS V1.1 documentation in IBM Knowledge Center.