How Rocket D3 Presents RESTful Services, the Right Way
The World Wide Web Consortium, aka W3C, defines Web Services this way:
“Web services provide a standard means of interoperating between different software applications, running on a variety of platforms and/or frameworks.”
Representational State Transfer or REST is one type of Web Service. And, any system that follows REST principles are RESTful. A few facts about REST:
- REST is an architecture, not a standardized protocol like SOAP
- REST uses only HTTP(S) for service interaction
- REST is lightweight, meaning it does not use a lot of extra XML markup
- REST produces human-readable results; the MVS Toolkit uses JSON
Now, let’s jump into the fun part, as the title implies.
Rocket D3 presents RESTful via our MVS Toolkit, a FREE product for our customers on maintenance. Using the MVS Toolkit, you can expose existing business rules, either BASIC Subroutines or Access Query Language (AQL) queries with the ease of an intuitive drag & drop IDE. The MVS Toolkit also provides features that enhance its usability over third-party alternatives. For example,
- Creating RESTful services is done via “drag and drop”, not by the painful approach of writing BASIC code through a series of added subroutines required to generate a Web Services response and parse a Web Service request – not to mention the overhead of maintaining these manually created Web Services – let the MVS Toolkit do the work for you
- Leveraging connection pools on the backend is easy and yields improved performance especially under heavy loads
- Ease of debugging BASIC code through a RESTful Web Service call – even in a live production environment, if needed
- Deploying RESTful services into a production environment is simple. For example, with the MVS Toolkit you can deploy a single Web Service operation, without the need to redeploy the entire RESTful Web Service
- Upgrading your backend BASIC subroutines, can be done on the fly, with no need to shut down and restart the MVS Toolkit Web Service provider, providing uninterrupted access to your D3 RESTful Web Service operations
Here’s what we don’t do:
- We don’t charge you for this capability – why pay for a third-party solution when you have a free product available to you that works natively with D3 and provides drag & drop capabilities for easily creating, deploying and maintaining your D3 RESTful Web Services
- We don’t make you write BASIC code to create and maintain your Web Services, adding an additional layer of BASIC code – an overhead that is avoided with the MVS Toolkit
- We don’t make you install the Web Service component on the same server as D3, meaning you maintain control of where you wish to place the components on your network
Since we built the MVS Toolkit specifically for D3, you benefit from the best performance, hands down!
In summary, our MVS Toolkit supports:
- Ease of development, deployment and maintenance of D3 RESTful services
- On-the-fly debugging on your backend D3 BASIC subroutine code
- On-the-fly updating of D3 RESTful services without disruption to your live applications
And, did I mention, it’s FREE?
Avoid the cost of an unnecessary proprietary add-on third-party solution, if you’re running D3 and are on maintenance, visit the Rocket Customer Portal today and download your free MVS Toolkit.