Expand your hiring base with UniData and Python
UniData and Python: Part 2 of 5
For years, customers have asked for a new and modern development language, more prevalent with younger developers, as UniBasic is mature (30 years old) and modernizing the language would not entice new developers. We needed a modern language that was easy to extend and embed within UniData, which had to be as performant as UniBasic or better, well-known and taught in colleges and universities. To satisfy these criteria we chose Python as the language to extend and embed into UniData 8.2.1.
UniData Python allows Rocket partners and direct end-users to attract and retain new development talent ensuring continuity planning by expanding the candidate pool of MultiValue developers. It can be used to easily extend your UniData application to prototype faster utilizing existing open-source Python packages with fewer lines of Python code. You can leverage the existing Python packages and modules found in the open source community. The Python Package Index (PyPI) currently has over 123,000 packages posted and is growing daily.
With UniData 8.2.1, Python is available for Windows and Linux 64-bit platforms (Python for AIX is currently under development). The XDEMO test files are now bundled with UniData 8.2.1 and have additional examples using Python. This allows anyone to use the example code as a starting point on which to build new and updated applications utilizing Python.
What can you do with Python:
- Call Python functions directly from UniBASIC
- Call UniBasic programs directly from Python
- Run Python programs from ECL via the RUNPY command
- Enter the Python interactive shell from ECL via the PYTHON command
For other Rocket MV Python resources, please visit our Python Community Page and we’ve published a number of blogs on Python:
- Quickly and Easily Harness a World of Open-Source Innovation with Rocket MultiValue Python
- How to Attract and Hire Millennials to Reinvigorate your Business with MV Python
- Python for the Rocket MultiValue Developer – Part 1 of 3 – An Introduction
- Python for the Rocket MultiValue Developer – Part 2 of 3 – Getting Started with the u2py module
- Python for the Rocket MultiValue Developer – Part 3 of 3 – Leveraging the Power of Python
- Did you know you can share UniData data files between servers using Python & Redis?
- A few good MUG(s) like learning about Python
In part 3 I’ll cover UniData 8.2.1 and UniBasic.