New Replication Scripts for Microsoft Windows
Starting at 1.6.3 on Microsoft Windows the console program has been dropped and rewritten completely in Windows Power Shell
U2 Replication is a very powerful, very configurable but very complex part of both UniData and UniVerse.
Many customers have historically become very adept at deploying there U2 Applications into environments where the people responsible for those environments have little or no specific U2 Administration knowledge. This has been one of the many positives of deploying U2 over a long period time and we’d like that to continue.
To administer and maintain U2 Replication, specific U2 Administration skills and knowledge need to be acquired. The Replication Exception Script and Monitoring Phantoms are designed to reduce this requirement. These Scripts and Phantoms have been discussed in a three-part blog series around Replication Best Practices and webinar. They are designed to act as proactive notifications of any problems, which may have otherwise gone unnoticed and then become a larger problem. The use of an Exception Script when correctly designed can be used to automatically re-establish Replication after events such as network interruptions.
The Scripts and Phantoms are distributed and updated with each point release of UniVerse (12.1 onwards) and UniData (8.2.1 onwards).
Prior to version 1.6.3 the Windows exception handling was done via a .NET console-based executable rather than a script (shell script) as in the UNIX version. Starting at 1.6.3 on Windows the console program has been dropped and rewritten completely in Windows Power Shell. This will give Windows users the same flexibility offered to UNIX users in terms of being able to fully examine and modify the scripts easily if required.
The Replication Exception Script and Monitoring Phantoms are documented in detail in the Rocket knowledge base under an article entitled ‘‘U2 Replication Exception Script and Monitoring Phantoms” in a pdf attached to the article. Log in to the Knowledge Base via the Rocket Community Portal, and then copy/paste this link:
The individual scripts for both UniVerse and UniData on Windows and UNIX are also attached to the article in the Knowledge Base. This article will be kept up to date in-between releases and can be accessed at any time to download the latest versions.
The Scripts and Phantoms are revised based on customer feedback. Product changes and the version history as of the 2nd April 2019 is detailed below.
- 3.1 First Version 01 March 2014
- 3.2 Corrects Spelling mistake and Windows Execute to use DOS /c not sh -c 15 April 2014
- 3.3 Corrects check for UVHOME to be /.uvhome not .uvhome in script 20 May 2015
- 3.5 Corrects problems around disablement status flags 03 June 2015
- 4.1 Added performance data gathering forms 01 July 2015
- 4.2 Small Fix for non-ROCKET.BP installs 10 September 2015
- 4.3 Improvements for Performance Gathering options and new Windows Exception Program 11 September 2015
- 4.3 No Change to main programs but Windows Exception Program Changed 23 December 2015
- 4.4 Correction Phantom Sleep Problem 04 January 2016
- 4.5 Windows exception script allow sync parameters to change and block rerun on failed sync 15 January 2016
- 4.6 Publisher one by one sync program added 21 January 2016
- 4.7 Small Syntax Correction to UV Script around sync failure email subject 22 January 2016
- 4.7 Change to Windows Script to ignore Pub Groups on a Subscriber (This change may need to be done to Unix Script at some time) 26 January 2016
- 4.8 Made Change to UNIX Scripts to match 1.4.7 Windows change on pub groups on a subscriber 27 January 2016
- 4.8 Made Last Sync Failure Check in Windows Script Configurable 27 January 2016
- 4.8 Made Change to Windows Exception Program for UniVerse only to use bin directory correctly 25 August 2016
- 5.0 Added Cross Group Transaction Parameter and Check to Perform a Whole Sync to avoid Replication Stall 20 December 2016
- 5.1 Removed DISTRIB phrase for CGT recovery as CGT recovery would fail 21 December 2016
- 5.2 Corrected one line where output file was wrong, corrected version number and check for blank file 22 December 2016
- 5.3 Corrected some MCP conversions for UniVerse, added extra email notification to exception script if the running file was found, cut down number of calls to reptool and improved checking for garbage returns from reptool 15 May 2017
- 5.4 Reduced number of times reptool called 25 August 2017
- 5.4 No program revisions – small change to scripts to move some variables higher in the script 19 September 2017
- 5.5 Correct Exit 2 problem not deleting running file + check for unexpected return code on pub / sub check 30 November 2017
- 5.6 Correct a problem to ensure object update report is collected correctly 01 December 2017
- 5.8 Exception script updated to keep ‘n’ versions of previous reports, extra showud / showuv 05 April 2018
- 5.9 Corrected a problem with the sender would show as ‘-t’ when an email was sent 29 May 2018
- 6.1 Corrected a problem where only DICT was displayed in object report rather than DICT FILENAME 17 August 2018
1.6.3 First Release of Windows Power Shell Exceptions, Better Error Messages in the Client Software 29 March 2019